Reading: The Forgotten Seamstress

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

photo from Coletterie

At the end of 2015, I came to a realisation. I used to be a person, who reads a lot. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved books. But the last couple of years, that seems to have change. Social media took over, and instead of reading a nice book at bedtime, I find myself browsing aimlessly through Instagram and other platforms. I realised that in 2015 I only started reading one book and I didn't even finish it. So in 2016 I want to change that. 

When I saw that Colette was starting a book club, I knew that was exactly what I needed! And what better books to read, than sewing related books, right? 

The first book was "The Forgotten Seamstress" by Liz Trenow, a historical novel, with two narratives seamlessly woven together: 

"When Caroline Meadows discovers a beautiful quilt in her mother’s attic, she sets out on a journey to discover who made it, and the meaning of the mysterious message embroidered into its lining.

Many years earlier, before the first world war has cast its shadow, Maria, a talented seamstress from the East End of London, is employed to work for the royal family. A young and attractive girl, she soon catches the eye of the Prince of Wales and she in turn is captivated by his glamour and intensity. But careless talk causes trouble and soon Maria’s life takes a far darker turn.

Can Caroline piece together a secret history and reveal the truth behind what happened to Maria?"
I really enjoyed this book. An easy read, well-written, with a little bit of everything in. I'd definitely recommend it, if you're looking for an easy bedtime read. 
Check out the discussion over Colette's blog to see what other readers thought of it.
What are you currently reading? Any recommendations?  

You Might Also Like

0 comments